Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Comfy Corny Christmas


With all this winter weather, sore shoulders, and holiday headaches, a comfort pillow is a nice thing to have around. I found the cutest pin-up girl fabrics to give to the guys in my family. They are filled with FEED corn (not popcorn) because I simply love the smell. It brings back memories of my gramma Harris in Dewey, Oklahoma when I was a little girl. Every time I spent the night with her, she would pop a huge dishpan full of popcorn while we watched TV before bedtime. I think of her every time I warm up my corn pillow in the microwave. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes, and then it rests on my shoulders while I sit at the computer. The moist heat, memories and aroma makes life goooood.

Here's how to make your own comfy corn pillows:

Supplies:
Sewing Machine
Matching Thread
Scissors
Ruler
Two 6” x 18” pieces of Cotton Fabric
Iron and Ironing Surface
6 Cups FEED CORN (no, it will not pop!)
1 Yard Ribbon
Microwave Oven

Pattie’s Pointer: My corn pillow is great to keep in the freezer for a sore ankle or knee, or for a headache.

Steps:
1. Sew two pieces of fabric together, right sides facing, leaving a 3-inch opening.

2. Turn the fabric right side out and sew ribbon to each end.

3. Fill the with corn, but not quite full so that it will lay on your shoulders nicely.

4. Sew the opening closed, and it's ready to use or give as a gift.

I almost forgot to tell you that if your child has an earache, a little corn pillow warmed in the microwave is wonderful to help them sleep through the night....

No comments: