Thursday, December 5, 2013

How To make Pompom Christmas Trees


Cute little felt and pompom Christmas trees are fast, fun and easy to make.

I made these in about 1 to 2 hours and now I have them to use for decorating my house for years and years!  These are only 12 inches tall, so they'll sit nice on the mantle or as a kitschy centerpiece.

First I drew up a simple pattern which is easy to print out or draw on a piece of standard size printing paper.  I cut out two trees at a time with pinking shears so they match perfectly.  I also cut out the circles so that the tree tops were a little more significant. Then I sewed them together on the sewing machine.  You could sew them by hand if you prefer.  I left the bottom open and stuffed them with some batting from my stash.  I placed a dowel rod up the center and glued the bottom closed around the dowel rod.  Then I drilled a shallow hole in a piece of balsa wood, glued the dowel into the hole with Aleene's Tacky Glue.  (I did paint mine before I assembled it, but you might like it with the unfinished wood.)

Then the fun began!  I made 1-inch pompoms with the Pattiewack Pompom Tool in red, greens and a shaggy white yarn.  I glued them on, holding in place with a pin until the glue dried.  I also glued some little buttons on to add a little extra zing.


I love how they turned out!  I think they would be cute no matter where I decide to put them. 

Pompom Christmas Trees

No comments: