Happy New Year from Nashville! It's been a laid back day, after a champagne toast by the fire last night.
We slept in this morning, watched the Rose Bowl Parade like everyone else, and then I got busy in the kitchen making our traditional black-eyed peas with cornbread and a carrot cake. My momma has never let a new year's day pass without cooking this meal so that we would be prosperous all year.
I had to don my new apron that was given to me by one of the interns at work, Kelly. She gave it to me because she knows how much I love kitschy things.
It's such a hoot! It has a big red heart that says, "How to keep your husband." And then it has all these cartoons with quotations in English and French. It says things like:
- Always look innocent! Cela vous va' faites la sainte nitouche!
- Watch your weight! C'est la chair qu! Semble s'enfler
- Kiss him often! Baisez-le, mais souvant!
- Have dinner ready! Avant tout, le diner!
- Get up for breakfast with a smile! Au de'jeuner, un sourire apportez!
- Don't open his mail! Ne touchez pas son courrier!
- Don't nag! Ne le crondez pas!
- Don't go thru his pockets! Ne fouillez pas dans ses poches!
- Don't gossip over the phone! Pas des comme'rabes au te'le'phone!
- Don't get mad or jealous! Pas des folies ou de jalousie!
- Let him read his paper in peace!
- Encourage his hobbies!
- Praise his in-laws!
- Don't be a know-it-all!
- Don't go over the budget!
- Don't look sloppy over the breakfast table!
Scott's favorite (he says) is "Kiss him often!"