Friday, October 22, 2010
31 Days of DIY Halloween - Lady Gaga Costume
I wanted to make a costume that looks like lady gaga, but it was hard to pick just one. I decided to go with this one, because I knew I could turn one black t-shirt into a SKIRT, and another black t-shirt into the TOP. Oh, and the crazy hair-bow/wig was a totally crazy idea I had to cut up a wig and glue it into a big bow on a headband. I love how it turned out, and how fast you can look like a super star! Karaoke, anyone?
– Aleene's® Fabric Fusion® Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive
– Wide headband
– Black thread
– Safety pin
– Rubber band
– Sewing machine
– Straight pins
– Blonde wig with bangs
– Craft stiff felt rectangles – (3) black and (1) yellow – 12”x22”
– 5/8” Black ribbon – 7 yards
– 5/8” Silver ribbon – 7 yards
– T-shirts – (2) black
1. Cut top off T-shirt from under the arms, straight across.
2. At top, turn under 1-inch and sew all the way around to form casing for ribbon.
3. At front and center, snip two slits in casing, 1-inch apart.
4. Hook a safety pin into the end of black ribbon. Push into one slit in casing and out the other slit.
5. Tie ends of ribbon to fit waist.
1. Cut stiff felt into a scalene triangle measuring 12” x 18” x 22”.
2. Glue ribbon in rows across the entire triangle, using Fabric Fusion. Pin in place until dry.
3. Glue embellished triangle to front of T-shirt, using Fabric Fusion. Refer to photo for placement. Pin in place until dry.
4. Cut stiff felt into an isosceles triangle measuring 8” x 10” x 10”. Cut 8” side into a slight curve.
5. Glue ribbon in rows across the entire triangle, using Fabric Fusion. Pin in place until dry.
6. Glue embellished triangle pointed side up in the center of the T-shirt, 5” up from bottom of shirt. Pin in place until dry.
7. Cut two pieces of stiff felt into a rectangle measuring 13” x 11”. Cut off one corner in a curve on both pieces. Glue pieces over the edges of the embellished triangle, five inches from the bottom of the shirt. Pin in place until dry.
1. Cover headband with yellow felt, gluing in place with Fabric Fusion. Hold in place with pins until dry.
2. Cut wig in half from ear to ear, leaving front and back pieces.
3. Glue front half of wig to top of the headband with bangs in the front; holding in place with pins until dry.
4. Using back half of wig, cut off a 3” wide portion at the center of backside. This will leave two equal groups of hair on either side of wig.
5. To form hair bow, use the two equal groups of hair and form loops with the ends meeting in the center. Hold ends together with rubber band. Wrap the rubber band with the 3” wide piece of wig, gluing into place. Hold in place with pins until dry.
6. To complete, glue hair bow to the top of the wig that is glued to the headband.
Miscellaneous NotesAdd to the costume by gluing a foam ball on the end of a black dowel with Aleene’s® Tacky Glue™, covering the ball with glue, and sprinkling with silver glitter for the perfect “pop star” microphone.
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!