Saturday, February 9, 2008

Rows of Roses


Valentines Day is a perfect time to bring out the roses and this little topiary is just the ticket for a simple centerpiece. All I did was purchase a readymade foam tree with a pole that is inserted into a pot-shaped foam base. You will find these in the floral department at the craft store. If you don’t find one, simply use a foam cone, a square of foam and a dowel rod.

I painted stripes on the pot with acrylic paints and let it dry while I gathered around 60 rosebuds (dried or silk), Spanish moss, ribbon, my hot glue gun, and Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue.

Next, I smeared Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue all over the top of the topiary and pressed a thin layer of moss into the glue. It’s smart to lay newspapers on your table to catch the extra moss.

Then, I cut the stems off the roses to about 1 1/2 inches and hot glued them into the topiary in neat rows, glueded the base into my striped pot, covered the top with moss, and finished it off with a pretty bow around the pole.

You could change it up with pink and chocolate stripes on the pot, green moss, and all pink roses for a more girlie-girl look!

No comments: