Sunday, July 11, 2010

Steampunk Jewelry Caddy

I was in the grocery store yesterday, picking up the latest Crafts N'Things magazines, when I thumbed through and saw the latest iLoveToCreate ad campaign for Aleene's adhesives, and low and behold there I was!


I had totally forgotten about the project that I made and the photo shoot, as we do them about 6 months out.

When I found out that I was doing the ad, I was totally excited because the product was Liquid Fusion, and I knew I could really do an industrial-strength-mondo project, since the glue is hard core.

I'd been dying to use this paper mache dress form and I had the idea to turn it into a jewelry caddy. So I went to the hardware store to find things to pimp it out. I found this aluminum vent cover for the base and while I was there, I picked up a roll of the thinnest aluminum flashing. I don't know what normal people use it for, but the minute I saw it, I knew it was going to be perfect to cut into a flirty metal skirt. I also grabbed 2 metal drapery tie-backs and a wooden finial. I didn't have a clear image in my mind, but I just knew I liked them.

Since I'm crazy about the steampunk trend, I decided to use old watches, metals, leather, and hardware to glue to the dress form. The drapery tie-backs made great arms for hanging jewelry, and the finial was perfect to mount at the top for holding bangle bracelets. I glued cup hooks around the waist to hold my rings.

To soften the whole look of the jewelry caddy, I cut strips of fabric and starched them heavily with spray starch, and glued the fabric loops underneath the metal skirt. I love how it turned out, and hope you like it too.

For the instructions to make your own version of my jewelry caddy, go to the iLoveToCreate website for all the details.

No comments: